Congratulations new mom! Despite being tired, maybe the thought of eating your favorite food might keep you going? Do you think that your restriction over a diet is just completed after the baby is born? There comes the twist! Well, if you do think so, then we are sorry! There is something called a postpartum diet where new moms are given the traditional postpartum delivery drinks and are placed in confinement.
First 40 days after giving birth is a crucial time for the growth of the baby and the recovery of the new mom. That is the reason new moms are advised to stay hydrated during this confinement period. Staying hydrated ensures the body is fully fueled thereby ensuring a good supply of breastmilk for your newborn.
The idea of this confinement period is to ensure you focus on yourself and the newborn. We have summarized the list of a few drinks during the confinement period which can help you recover fast.
6 Traditional Post-Delivery Drinks That Help
The postpartum period is of much importance as this is the time for the mother to recuperate after childbirth as well as to establish a relationship with the newborn. This phase commonly known as the confinement period lasts up to 6 weeks or 40 days. The period is given more emphasis as the new mother herself would need mothering and the major focus goes on her diet.
During this period, the new mother is advised to be on rest and is well taken care of by her mother or the other female members of the family. This phase enables the woman to rest, rejuvenate and replenish herself. The woman is advised not to get into any strenuous work or heavy household activities.
The idea behind having these diets and traditional post-delivery drinks is to restore nutrients and build up the blood and provide healthy nutrition to support the mother’s milk supply. Listed below are a few:
1. Ajwain water for drinks during the confinement period
Ajwain or carom seeds have numerous benefits for both the mother and the newborn. Ajwain during pregnancy has many benefits, Ajwain water for babies is also recommended, so how about Ajwain water after delivery? Consuming Ajwain water after delivery helps in the production of milk for breastfeeding mothers. It also helps the new moms lose weight when coupled with the right exercises. Post-delivery, new mothers often complain of back and joint pain. Drinking Ajwain water helps to combat those body pain.
New moms are prone to digestive issues that have formed after giving birth. Drinking water helps them to improve their digestive system. Also, the consumption of lukewarm Ajwain water daily helps to reduce constipation.
Ajwain water: Method of preparation
- Dry roast the Ajwain seeds on a low flame, until you get an aroma
- Add water to this and bring it to a boil
- Switch off the flame once the bubbles start to appear and the water turns brown
- Strain the water and let it cool. Consume the water in small amounts throughout the day
2. Saunf/Fennel water
Fennel seeds/water are well-known drinks during the confinement period for their healing properties. Known as Saunf in India, this is often consumed after meals to promote healthy digestion. Eating fennel seeds during pregnancy is absolutely safe & it is recommended after delivery too as Saunf is also used to increase the production of milk supply due to the presence of herbal galactagogue — a substance that helps in increasing breastmilk supply.
Though there are many ways to consume fennel seeds after delivery to improve the production of breast milk, it is advised to use it with caution regarding the amount of consumption. Fennel seeds are also a good source of vitamin C thereby helping to improve your immunity.
Saunf water: Method of preparation
- Take one teaspoon of fennel, half a liter of water, and half a teaspoon of honey to prepare fennel water
- Boil water in a pan and add fennel seeds to it. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes
- Filter the water and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink this lukewarm fennel water which helps promote a healthy weight loss after delivery
- Make fresh batches of water every day
3. Barley water
Barley water is extracted from barley and is believed to be one of the oldest grains in the world. Barley and barley malt is rich lactogenic foods that help in the production of breastmilk. Barley also comes with good dietary sources of beta-glucan. Beta-glucan is a polysaccharide that helps to increase prolactin — the hormone responsible for lactation.
You can keep your blood sugar controlled by having barley water. Also, consuming barley water helps to prevent and treat Urinary tract infections (UTI) the reason being a recommended traditional post-delivery drink. Due to its high fiber content, it aids in improving digestion. Barley is a natural source of zinc, iron, vitamins, and minerals that help in enhancing immunity and keeping infections at bay.
Barley water: Method of preparation
- Add half a cup of barley pearls to 1 ½ liter of water
- Let the water simmer for at least 30 minutes
- Allow the water to cool and strain the concoction
- You can add lemon juice and honey for flavor
- Make sure to consume this water at least twice a day for effective results
Related Reading: 12 Signs Of Low Milk Supply You Should Pay Attention To
4. Jeera water
Jeera water comes with a plethora of health benefits. Jeera water is highly beneficial for babies. Many pregnant ladies are advised to start consuming lukewarm Jeera water right from their last trimester to promote better lactation. Jeera water also helps in improving digestion and aids in keeping your gut healthy.
Hair loss is one common problem for women during and post-pregnancy. Consuming Jeera water promotes hair growth after delivery and fights hair thinning as Jeera contains all vital minerals that are essential for healthy hair.
Jeera water: Method of preparation
- In a pan, add one teaspoon of Jeera to a glass of water and let it boil
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool
- You can consume lukewarm Jeera water anytime during the day. The best advice is to consume on an empty stomach during the morning
5. Garlic milk
Garlic is believed to be a galactagogue that is used to stimulate breast milk production and increase its supply. It is understood that babies who like the taste of garlic will latch well and breastfeed well. Due to its antibacterial property, it helps to keep you away from illness.
Garlic is an ingredient that can be added to your diet in so many recipes. It is no harm in having garlic unless you show any discomfort or your baby shows any symptoms of colic. Garlic also aids in digestion helping to calm down irritations on the intestines if any.
Garlic milk: Method of preparation
- Mix 1 cup of water with 10 cloves of diced garlic. Add milk to this and let it boil
- Let these boil on medium flame. Do not mix all the ingredients
- Keep checking on the milk and remove it from the fire when the mixture is reduced to half of the original amount
- Strain the mixture
- Add the sugar while it is still hot. Your garlic milk is ready for consumption
Related Reading: 12 Important Tips For After Delivery Care
6. Fenugreek tea
Fenugreek is one herb that comes with a powerhouse of nutrition. It is one of the most commonly used ingredients in South Asian dishes. It contains several health benefits, especially for lactating mothers. Fenugreek is a well-known natural galactagogue that aids in increasing the supply of breast milk.
The seeds and leaves of fenugreek have been used for ages to improve the supply of breastmilk for lactating mothers. As one of the best traditional post-delivery drinks, fenugreek tea/water is given to new mothers. It contains phytoestrogen, — a similar female hormone to estrogen, which stimulates the breast milk ducts to grow.
Fenugreek tea: Method of preparation
- Rinse about a teaspoon of fenugreek and strain them. Use one cup of water per teaspoon
- Boil water in a pot and transfer the seeds to the boiling water
- Let the seeds steep for at least three minutes. If you want more concentrated tea, you may allow it to boil more
- Strain the seeds and consume the filtered collection — a glass per day
If you are a nursing mother, it goes without saying how important it is to manage the supply of breastmilk. It is also important to stay healthy after giving birth. You need rest and the baby needs you. This is why the concept of the confinement period was introduced. A woman loses a lot of blood and energy after her energy. The concept of introducing traditional post-delivery drinks to the new mother after delivery is to ensure there is proper circulation of blood. The food she eats during this period helps to strengthen joints and promotes milk supply.
The diet during the confinement period is the main focus on rebalancing the lost energy. Following the drinks during the confinement period helps in a positive experience and a quick recovery. You must nourish your body post which is important especially if you are breastfeeding. A nutrient-dense diet could help to heal your body quickly.
Also, you must stay hydrated throughout the day, despite the fact you are breastfeeding or not. Your overall health and recovery also depend on staying physically active and getting sufficient sleep as and when possible.